Department of Bio - Chemistry
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Biochemistry was established in the year 1993 and the Post Graduate Course was progressed in the year 1995. As per the University rules the total intake of this department is 40 students. Every batch of students has been successful in academic and co-curricular activities. Our department has dedicated staff members who are experienced in the field of science and research as well as laboratory teaching. The department has infrastructure to offer quality education and training. Bio-Chemistry is an advanced course which forms the basis for other fields like Bioinformatics, Microbiology Biotechnology and Molecular biology. The discipline of Biochemistry today occupies a pivotal position in Teaching and Research of all Biological and Bio-Medical Sciences. The fields of Agriculture, Pharmaceutical and Environmental Sciences are incomplete without a sound knowledge of Biochemistry. Recent advances in Bio-technology and its Industrial applications have been possible only due to thorough understanding of the underlying principles of Biochemistry. This department produces students with sound background of theoretical and experimental Biochemistry The department is equipped with adequate infrastructure. The faculty of the department stresses on applied and clinically oriented teaching to provide an objective oriented learning besides covering the topics as per mentioned in the syllabus.
Generating new tools and knowledge that will advance our understanding of the living world and enhance the quality of life through better medical care. Promoting interactions across the diversity of endeavors in the molecular life sciences.Develop and enhance conservation of optimum academic environment to prepare professional graduates in the field of biochemistry.
To change the basic concepts of the life sciences through our students, environment and understanding of life at the molecular level.
Ms. S. SARULATHA, M.Sc., M.Phil., DMLT
Head & Assistant Professor
E-Mail id :
MAJOR RESEARCH AREA:
- Regulation of gene expression
- cell biology
- Protein structure & Dynamics
- Molecular medicine
- computational biology
- Cancer biology
- Human disease
- Plant biochemistry
- Environmental biology
- Nano technology
- Drug development & phytochemical analysis
|Dr. R.Manikandan /Assistant Professor||Manonmaniyam Sundharanar University, Tirunelveli||2018|
|Dr. T.Abarna/Assistant Professor|
|Marudhupandiyar college/ Bharathidasan University||2017|
|1.Phytochemical and in vitro anti-diabetic activity of methanolic extract of Psidium gujava|
2. In vitro antimicrobial and anti cancer acitivity of Connamomum zeylanicum Linn bark extract
3.In vitro anti oxidant activityof Psidium gujava leaves
4. Original research article antioxidant ,antithelninitic and antimicrobial activity of Euphoria thymifolia Linn whole plant
5.Hypertension, diabetes,metabolic syndrome, inflammation and risk of stroke.
6. Anti hyperglycimic and antihyperlipidimic potentials of Psidium gujava in alloxan induce diabetic rats
7. Productive effect of Psidium gujava leaf ethanolic extract against streptozotocin induced diabetes and lipidosis rats
|1. Evaluation of ethanolic leaf extract of phyllanthus niruri and effect on carbon tetrachloride intoxicated hepatotoxicity in albino rats |
2.Extraction of phytochemical characterisation of phylanthus niruri leaves and their evaluation for ethanol intoxicated hepatotoxic albino rats
3. Larvicidial efficacy of Ocimum sanctum at mukiya madraspatana against the mosquito vector Aedes aegitic
4. Hepatoproductive activityof Brassica Oleracea in paracetamol intoxicated albino rats.
5.Gas chromatography- Mass spectroscopic analysis of bioactive compounds in the whole plant part of Evolvulus alsinoides
6.Invitro anti cancer acitivity of whole plant ethanolic extract of Evoluvlus alsinodes against different cell lines.
7. Hepatoproductive activity of phyllanthus niruri whole plant extract against staphylococcus aureus intoxicated albino rats
8. Comparative biochemical investigation of patients with alcoholic and non alcoholic liver disease
|3||R. Kalaiselvi||Phytochemical and Anthelmintic Activity of Andrographis Paniculata Leaves Extracts|
|S.NO||AUTHOR NAME||BOOK NAME||ISBN|
|1||R. MANIKANDAN||CELL AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY||978-93-87654-15-9|
|2||Dr. R.MANIKANDAN||FUNDAMENTALS OF BIOMOLECULES||978-93-87360-37-2|